Mental Health Professions

Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist

A clinician who has attended medical school and completed a residency program. They have specialized training in psychiatry and also in working with kids and teens and can prescribe medication when indicated.

Clinical Psychologist

A clinician who has a doctoral degree from a graduate school. They have specialized training for evaluating and treating individuals with psychological illnesses. In most states, psychologists cannot prescribe medication. 

School Psychologist

A clinician who has received specialized advanced graduate preparation relevant to both psychology and education. They often help coordinate services with your school. School psychologists can also diagnose and provide therapy. They are typically a good place to start. 

Social worker or mental health counselor

A clinician who has a college degree and at least two years of graduate training. They are trained to assess your needs and develop a plan. Frequently, they will also provide therapy.